11.08.2006

Moving house.

I recently consolidated my dedicated FTP server whit my normal workstation and the FTP server is now a virtual machine. This of course led to the situation that my PC is always on.
This was not a problem in itself but it lead to some physical security issues, namely the kids at home.
My current Antec 840 case did not have any flaws but it could use some improvements. There was also the fact that I wanted a new C2D machine but could not afford one. Something had to be done to satisfy my thirst for new hardware!
So 2 birds with 1 stone, I bought a new case.
I had built several PC's in Compucase 6A series cases and had noted the build quality and the functionality that you get whit this budget case. The only real problem whit the cases was their looks until I saw 6A34 http://www.compucase-hec.co.uk/mainpages/product_detail.asp?pid=50
This case looks awesome and also solved my "security issue" leaving the reset button behind a door. I also got front panel USB, head phone jacks and I was hoping for firewire.
Unfortunately this particular variant does not have Firewire but all else is there.
One more thing that attracted me to this case was 120mm fans and the possibility to make my PC even quieter than it was whit the Antec case.
Out from the old and in to the new.

My HDD:s now get excellent cooling but the adverse effect is that the incoming air is hotter than in the Antec, leading to higher CPU temps.
I tried Noiseblocker fans but they were too loud.

I tested a Thermaltake 130mm fan, witch seamed as quiet as they say but it was not compatible whit my system but I can recommend it for use whit Thermaltake's the Sonic Tower heat sink along whit a rpm control unit it would work fine.
A friend pointed out these new Noctua fans that had liquid bearings whit magnetic centering, loads of accessories and a 5 year warranty. The price was competitive whit Papst fans so I had to try one.
The case fans use the U.L.N.A. rpm cutter (resistor) and my Epox motherboard actively controls the CPU fan.
Both cases had the sheet fan guards (grilles) cut of and chromed wire guards put in place to reduce whistling due to air flow.
At the moment the PC is not as quiet as whit my Antec but this is due to the total lack of acoustic dampening inside the case and this is the next phase when I get to it. Antec had the whole inside coated whit dampening panels and that eliminated effectively al the internal echoing of the HDD's and fan noise. At the same time it reducing the internal air volume and speeding the air exchange (or increasing the pressure when all case fans blow in) inside and making the case air tighter eliminating sound from escaping out of the case.
My new home, enjoy!

No comments: