11.15.2006

Sun Ultra 5 for dumb ass's

Today I got my hands on the Ultra 5.
It's a 1999 Ultra Sparc 2i 366MHz 256L2 CPU with 2x128MB memory, integrated ATI display adapter and Sun type 6 keyboard & mouse.
The first thing that astonished me was how clean it is. There is NO dust in side it, none. Not even on the fan blades or in the power supply! I have no idea if this is a spare unit that has newer ben used or used in a "clean room" type environment.
I have to check if any of my memory modules work with this thing. I quickly checked eBay for a 400MHz 2MB L2 CPU but the prices where too high for an 0 budget machine.
I quickly tried what the machine does when powered.
Hawing 0 experience whit Sun systems it's like using a computer for the first time or changing to a Mac. I'll have to look for some type of getting started guide or manual.
I don't like the totally text based non graphic setup program. the "bios" is interesting and appears to be a mini OS in itself but I just hate that it's like using DOS whit out 4dos or colors. Even a Alpha BIOS setup is more graphic but offers les help for the user.
Lets see what I can find and how I get past the network boot loop the Ultra 5 is in after I reset the setup config to factory defaults.
Read more...
http://testi-3.blogspot.com/2006/11/tears-of-sun.html

No comments: