11.08.2006

DIY RCA cable for the SUB

I admit I do have a "thing" for cables. But I see it as being in line whit my philosophy of getting the most out of what you have.
Good cables are expensive end I doubt you actually get anything for your money but lots of fancy packaging and superlatives eulogizing "how good this cable is".
I prefer something more tangible like actually measured performance.
Now here's the trick you can get coaxial cables that far surpass studio grade RG 59/58 cables in terms of frequency attenuation, or how little the cable effects the signal, for less than 0,40€ a meter. Finding good RCA plugs is a bit harder, at least in Finland.
Sure you can find fancy gilded "yellow plated" plugs but they usually start to melt when your soldering the kind of cable I'm talking about. 1,13mm thick center lead whit double shielding, foam like insulation and clearly good materials all around and virtually no degradation of frequencies at the lengths used in the home.
Now why would I spend 100-500€ for a cable that has no real merit to its name or even if it was the best cable ever made I'm sure that DIY cables from good selected components are as good or pretty close in performance but only cost in the range of 10-30€.
For 10€ in Hi-Fi shop all you can get is shoe strings!

Here are a couple of pictures of my latest cable. All components from a local Elfa store.
















No comments: