7.03.2009

C64 alive and kicking!

It's almost a year since my re-entry into the world of Commodore and buying an MMC Replay.
High hopes set for that particular project were only filled by say 40%.
The original goal of making a C64 game console with game saves and such was not achieved due to several reasons.
MMC Replay's (mmcr) freezer newer works. I don't know if it's supposed to work in mmcr mode or not due to the "joke of an" user manual that has very little info and only covers the surface of basic functions.
Last nail in the coffin is .d64 game support.
I estimate that 20% of d64 games work in either mmcr bios mode or with the help of TNT's MMC Browser.
8 and 16k cartridges work but nothing bigger and the .crt plug-in for MMC64 does not work on mmcr and I don't know if that would help anyway.
.t64 games all work with TNT's MMC Browser but the browser only works on mobile mmc cards and not on SD and I got a 4Gig SDhc for the mmcr project so this too is a bit of a setback since I have to change cards if I want to play .d64 or .t64 games. TNT is not going to release an updated version of MMC Browser to support mmcr.
The biggest problem I have whit t64 support is a question to Individual Computers WHY doesn't mmcr support t64 out of the box?

What all this achieves to do is re create the original C64 experience.
Getting a game to run is as good as playing a game. You get the same "rush/high" from both. Although the "vietnam flashbacks" of countless load and syntax errors and endless readjustment of the tape heads azimuth angle just to get a game to work are funny (and traumatic) memories from some 20 odd years ago but they were NOT what I was expecting when I got the mmcr...

Enough bitching and whining!

I looked for some different angles on solving the issues all mmcr user have. I found 2 solutions worthy of trying.
1541 Ultimate is an alternative to mmcr and probably beats it in many categories but there is no mention of .crt support and if your interested I'd look into .t64 support closer just so that there wont be any unwanted surprises.
The price of this device rules it out for me and I see this as an option for people who are looking for this type of device but don't yet have any.
I however already got one and don't want to start selling my mmcr just to solve the .d64 issue so I'm going for the 1541EMU solution.
It requires minimal financial investment from me and is rumored to work very well if not flawlessly.
All you need is a PC running DOS, the 1541EMU app, some 1541 rom images and a special cable.

I popped in my faw' electronics store Elfa and ordered the parts for the type 1 cable. I also ordered the parts for a "pot box". No that is NOT meant for drugs but to make a controller box for Mssiah that I just ordered, JEI!

So I'm hoping to come back whit some user experiences from my 3 new C64 projects:
Retro Replay+1541EMU.
Mssiah software cart.
C64 dual SID synth build project to have a fully functioning C64 game console and a dedicated C64 synthesizer/music station.

Stay tuned.

No comments: